Well, while Bryan and I were planning the wedding, honeymooning, and vacationing in Hawaii, Basil's teeth were rotting. We took them in last week to stay at the vet while we were in Hawaii. On the first day in Maui, I received a phone call from the vet telling me that Basil had some "severe" dental issues. (That explains the horrible smell of her breath!!) They told us that she was in desperate need of some dental hygiene and suggested a cleaning, which meant putting her to sleep. Well, that turned out to be more than a cleaning- they pulled 4 teeth. Given that Basil was already missing about 6 teeth (due to bad breeding) she now only has about 4 teeth! OMG! I know it is not funny, but when we got the itemized bill, I nearly wet my pants laughing. I mean, seriously people, how can all of this happen to one dog??? I am not going to disclose the bill amount, but let me just say, it was very close to our hotel bill in Maui. Here is a summary of a few of the line items (I am copying word for word).
Dental Cleaning, Extra Heavy Tarter
Buprenophrine
Butorphanol Tartrate
Anesthesia for Dental Prophy
Dental Scaling (Level Three)
Anesthetic Monitoring, Electronic
Dental Polishing
Dental Fluoride Treatment
Blood Profile, Chem 6 with CBC
Optimune Opthalmic Ointment
Dental Extraction, Major (4 teeth)
Medical Waste Disposal (Required by Law)
Ketamine
Diazepam
Oh and last but not least, she now has to have a soft food diet for the rest of her life. Good Bye, Kibbles and Bits, you sure were nice on the budget while it lasted!

0 comments:
Post a Comment